Over familiarity with God and the things of God, has caused many of us to fall from grace. When our reverence for God and the things of God diminishes, we are prone to taking God for granted, and thereby we live unfruitful, ungodly and non-triumph lives. Over familiarity with God and the things of God, is not only sinful; but it is dangerous and unhealthy for us. Hebrews 10:31, “It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God”.
Although God is super amazing and extremely great, He chose to be mindful of us, our lives and everything that we do. Psalm 8:4-6, “What is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of man that You visit him? For You have made him a little lower than the angels, and You have crowned him with glory and honour. You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands; You have put all things under his feet”.
Just like the saying goes, “over familiarity breeds contempt”, we as children of God, tend to forget how powerful and magnificent God is; and we consciously or unconsciously misuse our godly rights, authority, relationship and connection with God.
One major thing that can affect our relationship with God, is the lack of the fear of God. I have often prayed to God many times, to increase His fear in me, more than His love. This is because I truly understand that the fear of God will always guide me into never becoming overly familiar with God, more than the love of God would. The love of God is great in everyway, but the fear of God, will help us serve God the appropriate and desired way.
In the bible, one major way which the Israelites faulted, was in taking God, His power and love for granted. This led to God severely punishing the Israelites because they stubbornly chose to not repent from their sins, and turn from their wicked ways.
What happens when we get overly familiar with the God and the things of God?
1. We limit our relationship with God: Psalm 55:19, “God shall hear, and afflict them, even he that abides of old. Selah. Because they have no changes, therefore they fear not God”.
2. We become distracted with the things of the world: 1 John 2:15, “Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them”.
3. We begin to operate in works and no longer in faith: Galatians 2:16, “know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified”.
4. We consciously and unconsciously give a place to the devil, in our lives: “Ephesians 4:27, And do not give the devil a foothold”.
5. We run the risk of missing Heaven: John 14:2-3, “In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also”.
6. We limit the flow of the Holy Spirit in us: Ephesians 4:30, “And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption”.
7. We fall easily into sin: Romans 6:23, ” For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord”.
Please, do not Hesitate to contact us on realtalkfinetalk.com. God bless and Keep you in Him in Jesus name.