Ephesians 4:11-13, “So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ”.
The Five-Fold ministry in the body of Christ, are ordained by the Lord Jesus Christ, for the equipping, edifying, building and the perfecting of the church; and for the spread of the Gospel to the unsaved. These positions are given to those who are called and chosen by the Lord Jesus, to deliver the Gospel diligently and effectively. Although they are different in their callings and responsibilities, these offices work together in the expansion, building and edification of the body of Christ. Each office operates in the grace and power of God, through His Son Jesus Christ, and by the power of the Holy Spirit. Acts 1:8, “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth”.
The Five-Fold ministry have different functions and purposes, but they all commonly operate in the Gifts and Fruits of the Holy Spirit, as the Lord freely bestows on them. Ephesians 2:20, “built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone”.
The Five Ministries of Christ
- Apostles: An Apostle is an ambassador of Jesus Christ, commissioned to carry out the work of the Lord. This person is an imitator of the works and character of Jesus. He/she is driven to share the word and do the works that Jesus did while He lived on the earth. This person is usually one who has a deep and fruitful relationship with the Lord. He/she understands the vision and message of Christ and is diligent to win more souls, train them to become disciples, so that they too may meticulously continue the work that Jesus began on the earth. Matthew 4:19,”Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people”. This person operates in the gift of miracle, to perform signs and wonders. Examples of Apostles are Peter and John.
- Prophets: A Prophet is one who has been chosen by God to relate His messages to the world, as His mouthpiece. This person is one who hears directly from God concerning specific things and is sent by God to deliver specific messages to certain persons, people or countries. A Prophet is one who fears God and is obedient to the instructions and directions of God. A Prophet of God is mindful of his/her words and is careful to speak only that which he/she hears the Lord speak. He/she will not add or take away from the message which they receive from God.1 Samuel 15:10-11, “Then the word of the Lord came to Samuel: “I regret that I have made Saul king, because he has turned away from me and has not carried out my instructions.” Samuel was angry, and he cried out to the Lord all that night”. An example of an Apostle are Elijah and Samuel.
- Evangelists: An Evangelists is one who burns with the desire to win souls for the Kingdom of God. He/she is burdened with the passion for souls, to preach to the Gospel to unsaved. This person has great love for all souls and does not want any soul to be damned and go to Hell. He/she is very sacrificial and is willing to encounter anything because of Jesus Christ. An Evangelists is always ready to be used and sent anywhere by God at any time, to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. His/her pure desire is to see hell decrease whilst Heaven increases. 2 Timothy 4:2, “Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage–with great patience and careful instruction. An example of an Apostle are Paul and Timothy.
- Pastors: A Pastor is one chosen by God to edify, nourish, pasture and mature His flock (His Church) on the earth. This person is entrusted with the responsibility of pastoral care of the brethren; and in the upkeep of the Church sanctuary. John 21:16, “Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep”. He/she is commissioned by God to function in the Five-Fold Ministry for the perfecting of the saints in Christ. An example of an Apostle is Peter..
- Teachers: A Teacher is one who is equipped by the Holy Spirit, with the divine Knowledge of God’s word. This person is taught by the Holy Spirit through the word of God, the divine revelations and mysteries of the bible; which is referred to as the Rhema Word. The word of God comes alive in this person, and he/she is readily equipped to teach the word of God in Spirit and in Truth. He/she is what the bible referred to in 2 Timothy 2:15, “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that need not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth”. An example of an Apostle are Jesus and Paul.
Please, do not Hesitate to contact us on realtalkfinetalk.com. God bless and Keep you in Him in Jesus name.