The Fruits of the Holy Spirit in my definition, is the divine character of the Holy Spirit of God, reflected in the lives of the believers in Jesus Christ. The fruits of the Holy Spirit are not fruits as we know them, but they are the attributes and personalities of the Holy Spirit of God. These fruits are freely given to believers in Christ by God through the Holy Spirit. As children of God, God gives us these fruits for the perfecting of us and the saints (the Church). Again, these fruits are priceless and uniquely given to believers by the grace and goodness of God. Galatians 5:22-23, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, Patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law”. The fruits of the Holy Spirit demonstrate God’s perfect character and righteousness.
There are nine Fruits of the Holy Spirit listed in Galatians 5. The fruits of the Holy Spirit are bestowed on believers, so that they can live a fruitful, successful and edifying lives, before God and other people. These fruits of the Spirit enable us as believers to demonstrate the character of Jesus Christ, because as He is, so are we in this world. 1 John 4:17, “Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the Day of Judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world”. The fruits of the Holy Spirit is deposited in the inside of the believers, which then pours outwardly to positively affect others.
The Fruits of the Holy Spirit are gifts form God, which allows us to grow positively in the things of God, and in our walk with Jesus Christ. These fruits of the Holy Spirit, like any other fruits, will continue to increase and mature in us through our obedience, fellowship and reverence for God and the things that pertains to life and godliness in Christ. God loves His children deeply, and He knows what we need to serve Him in Spirit and in Truth, therefore, He blesses us with the fruits of the Holy Spirit, to aid us to be more like Christ every day. These fruits are incorruptible because they are the Characters of God in us. Unlike our earthly possessions and status, these fruits of the Holy Spirit will remain with us in Heaven.
The Fruits of the Holy Spirit are desirable ,and can be asked from God in earnest. Roman 8:32, “He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all-how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? These fruits of the Holy Spirit are detrimental to us and our relationship with other believers and non-believers. We become examples and imitators of Jesus Christ when we have and walk in these fruits of God’s Spirit.
An example of the operation of the fruits of the Holy Spirit in believers, is when we walk in forgiveness and love, rather than in un-forgiveness and hate. We must consciously choose to walk in these fruits of the Holy Spirit, though they are in us as God freely gives us. It is like having a new pair of shoes; but you can choose to wear it or not wear it. The choice is always ours, but the gifts and fruits of God are final. Romans 11:29. “for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable”.
The Fruits of The Holy Spirit
- Love: The Love of God, is the essence of who God is in us. The fruit of love is the greatest of all the fruits of the Holy Spirit because it demonstrates the heart of God to us. When we work in love, we literally are imitators of God’s love and character. 1 john 3:14, “We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death”.
- Joy: The Joy of the Lord strengthens us in our walk with God as believers in Christ. This fruit of Joy encourages the believers to reman undeterred by the circumstance and challenges in their lives, because they are strengthened from the inside by the Holy Spirit. Nehemiah 8:10 Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength”.
- Peace: The peace of God, is the unshaken power of God in the lives of believers. This fruit of the Holy Spirit guides our heart and lives in Hands of God. It enables the believers to walk in the knowledge that God is the President and the Controller of all things. Philippians 4:7, “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus”.
- Patience: Our God is a patient and bearing God, therefore the fruit of Patience is the character of God in us. This fruit of the Holy Spirit allows the believers to wait effortlessly on God’s timing; because all things are working together for their good. Philippians 4:6, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God”.
- Kindness: The kindness of God to His children knows no boundaries. God is ever so kind to all, and not just believers only. The fruit of kindness enables the believers to exhibit and demonstrate kind acts to other people. This fruit illustrates the goodness and kindness of God in us and through us. 2 Corinthians 5:14, “For the love of Christ compels us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead”.
- Goodness: To be good in an evil world like ours, is truly by the grace of God. The fruit of Goodness again is God’s goodness demonstrated in us and through us. The goodness of God is not limited to the believers only, but to everyone. This fruit of the Holy Spirit enables the believers to do good deeds with expecting any reward or gratitude from others.1 Chronicles 16:34, “Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever”.
- Faithfulness: God is forever so faithful! This fruit of the Holy Spirit enables the believers to walk in the spirit of excellence and perfection in Christ Jesus. It allows us trust in the faithfulness of God, and remain diligent in all that we do as children of the Most High God. Hebrews 10:23. let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering; for he who promised is faithful”.
- Gentleness: The Holy Spirit of God is a gentle yet powerful Spirit. This fruit of the Holy Spirit in the lives of the believers, demonstrates the manners, meekness and attributes of the Spirit of God in us. It enables the believers to walk in the spirit of gentleness and humility. Philippians 4:5, “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near”.
- Self-control: The spirit of Self-control, is a powerful quality in the lives of believers. This fruit of the Holy Spirit enables the believers in Christ to be disciplined, rule and governed by the Spirit of God, and not by the spirit of man. When believers walk in the fruit of gentleness, they portray Christ and the Gospel to the world. Proverbs 16:32. “Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one who takes a city”.
Please, do not Hesitate to contact us on realtalkfinetalk.com. God bless and Keep you in Him in Jesus name.