God is ever so kind to us His beloved children, and He willingly bestows upon us divine gifts, to aid us in our walk with Him on the earth. These gifts are priceless and rich in every way, and they are given to us to help us live a successful and fruitful Christian life. God gives us these precious gifts not for ourselves alone, but also for the edification of His body (His Church). Ephesians 4:12, “to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up”. He gives us different gift. These gifts are given to us by God through His Holy Spirit, who is our helper in this world. Again, these gifts although these gifts are free, they are more spiritual than physical.
The bible tells us in John 4:24, “God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth”. When God blesses us with these amazing gifts, He expects us to use these gifts to worship, honour and bring glory to His name. Just like any gifts, the responsibility falls on us to use it wisely, honestly, carefully and in the right manner. The gifts we receive from God, grows, especially when we are diligent in using them appropriately and selflessly, to encourage one another in the body of Jesus Christ.
There are many gifts of the Holy Spirit and I do not believe it is fair to limit them to only Seven or Nine, as some believe. However, I will go on to explain some of the gifts of the Holy Spirit amongst many. The gifts of God are no respecter of persons, age or status, and it is based solely on the grace and goodness of God, rather than our works of righteousness. Isaiah 64:6, “But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousness’s are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away”. The bible tells us that we should desire earnestly the best gifts in life, and God will show us a more excellent way. 1 Corinthians 12:31, “Now eagerly desire the greater gifts. And yet I will show you the most excellent way”.
1 Corinthians 12:1-11, “Brothers and sisters, I want you to know about the gifts of the Holy Spirit. You know that at one time you were unbelievers. You were somehow drawn away to worship statues of gods that couldn’t even speak. So, I want you to know that no one who is speaking with the help of God’s Spirit says, “May Jesus be cursed.” And without the help of the Holy Spirit no one can say, “Jesus is Lord.” There are different kinds of gifts. But they are all given to believers by the same Spirit. There are different ways to serve. But they all come from the same Lord. There are different ways the Spirit works. But the same God is working in all these ways and in all people. The Holy Spirit is given to each of us in a special way. That is for the good of all. To some people the Spirit gives a message of wisdom. To others the same Spirit gives a message of knowledge. To others the same Spirit gives faith. To others that one Spirit gives gifts of healing. To others he gives the power to do miracles. To others he gives the ability to prophesy. To others he gives the ability to tell the spirits apart. To others he gives the ability to speak in different kinds of languages they had not known before. And to still others he gives the ability to explain what was said in those languages. All the gifts are produced by one and the same Spirit. He gives gifts to each person, just as he decides.
Some of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit
1. Wisdom: Wisdom is absolutely crucial for us as believe to possess, because through the wisdom of God, we are guided and guarded in all things. Proverbs 4:7, “Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore, get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding”. wisdom is the principal. although we are in the world, we are not of this world. Therefore, is vital that we abide and operate in the wisdom of God in a shrewd world as ours. Example of a person that operated in this gift, was King Solomon.
2. Understanding: To understand is to divert from errors. The gift of Understanding is a key element in the life of the believer because it allows him/her to know and understand the things of the Spirit and the things of the world. When we operate in the gift of understanding, we can utilize the wisdom of God in the appropriate manner. Psalms 119:130, “The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple. Example of a person that operated in this gift, was Joseph.
3. Knowledge: Knowledge is power, because without knowledge, we will not be aware of what has been freely given to us as children of God. The gift of Knowledge is sharing in the knowledge of God, of what is good and knowing what is bad. We need knowledge to consciously claim all that God has freely given us by His Spirit Proverbs 18:15, “An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge”. Example of a person that operated in this gift, was Paul.
4. Fear of God: This is one of my favourite gifts. The fear of God is not fear as we know it, instead it a deep reverence for God and the things of God. This gift enables us as believers, not to become overly familiar with God and the things of God, in a manner that displeases God. This gift helps us to serve God the best way we can. Proverbs 9:10, “Fear of the LORD is the foundation of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment”. Example of a person that operated in this gift, was David.
5. Faith: Faith is a major weapon for the believer in Christ. This gift helps the believers to operate in a high level of faith that is beyond our capabilities, and not be moved. This gift is stirred up in the inside of believers, and their faith is based on nothing but the word and Spirit of God. Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen”. Example of a person that operated in this gift, was Abraham.
6. Healing: This is a gift that helps heal the sick and diseased. This gift demonstrates the wonder working power of God, through the blood of Jesus. This gift is given mostly to believers who have compassion and love in their hearts. Acts 4:30, “While you stretch out your hand to heal, and signs and wonders are performed through the name of your holy servant Jesus”. The gift of Faith demonstrates the goodness of God to His children. Example of a person that operated in this gift, was Peter.
7. Discerning of spirits: This gift is not very common, but it is a gift that enables you judge every spirit. This gift requires purity in the heart of the believers; to help them to remain undistracted and disconnected from the Spirit of God. With this gift, the believers are able to distinguish between good and bad spirits, and the types of spirit that it is. 1 John4:1, “Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world”. Example of a person that operated in this gift, were Paul and Silas.
8. Miracles: The gift of Miracles is quite like the gift of Healing. However, the gift of miracles is the manifestations and demonstration of the power of God, through signs and wonders. SV. The gift of miracles operates in performing miracles. Hebrews 2:4, “While God also bore witness by signs and wonders and various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will”. Example of a person that operated in this gift, was Jesus
9. Prophecy: The gift of Prophecy is a gift that helps the believers in Christ by the Holy Spirit, to speak the mind of God concerning the future. This gift helps the believers to work according to the will of God, spoken to them. 2 Peter 1:21, “For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit”. Example of a person that operated in this gift, was Elijah.
10. Speaking in Tongues: This is a gift that is common amongst believers, where we speak in an unknown language or tongue. We can be rest assured however, that although we may not understand what we are speaking, but it is the heavenly language of God. Mark 16:17, “And these signs will accompany those who believe in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues”. This gift is vital to the believers, so that we can triumph over the enemies. Example of a person that operated in this gift, were the Disciples of Jesus.
11. Interpretation of Tongues: This gift works hand in hand with the gift of speaking in tongues. This gift helps to give interpretation of the heavenly language, in our understanding. 1 Corinthians 14:27, “If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret”. The gift of interpretation is divinely given by the Holy Spirit to believers, so that everyone may understand what was spoken in the heavenly language. Example of a person that operated in this gift, was Daniel.
Please, do not Hesitate to contact us on realtalkfinetalk.com. God bless and Keep you in Him in Jesus name.