The anointing in my definition, is the power of God at work in the life of a believer, through the presence of the Holy Spirit by faith. The anointing of God is very powerful and cannot be bought or manufactured, it is a gift from God that was made possible by the Redeeming Blood of Jesus Christ; to empower and aid a believer in his/ her walk with the Lord; and to enable them live a successful Christian life. Acts 8:18, “When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money and said, “Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.” Peter answered: “May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God.”
The anointing of God is no respecter of persons, possessions, titles, or age. It is deposited in the spirit of a believer, by the Holy Spirit, who is the power of God at work in us His children. 1 John 2:20, “But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth”.
For us to receive this anointing, we would have to accept Jesus Christ the Son of God, as our Lord and Saviour; who came into the world in the flesh and gave Himself for us on the cross of Calvary to reconcile us to God; who was buried and on the third day, rose again by the power of God; and now sits at the right Hand of God in Heaven. Isaiah 53:5, “But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed”. Also, Romans 10:9, “If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved”.
The anointing of God is given to the believers who are born again, to fight the powers of the enemies. To set the captives free, the bond loose, to heal the sick and to raise the dead. This Anointing of God varies in the degrees of power, this is usually because each believer work at different pace, different levels of faith and different depth in fellowship with God. The anointing can be stirred up through our prayers, praise and worship, communion with God and studying the word of God.
People experiences of the anointing defers, some feel it as heat in different parts of the body when it is stirred up, some feel warm oil poured on their heads, some experience sprinkle of showers and for others, it comes upon them like a garment. The anointing of God is transferable from one believer to another, and it faith-based. It can be impacted in four ways.
Ways by which the Anointing of God can be impacted
1. By laying of hands: 1 Samuel 16:11-13, ”So he asked Jesse, “Are these all the sons you have?” “There is still the youngest,” Jesse answered. “He is tending the sheep. ”Samuel said, “Send for him; we will not sit down until he arrives. ”So, he sent for him and had him brought in. He was glowing with health and had a fine appearance and handsome features. Then the Lord said, “Rise and anoint him; this is the one. ”So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon David. Samuel then went to Ramah.
2. Through gifting: 2 Kings 2:9-13, “When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, “Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?” Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit,” Elisha replied. “You have asked a difficult thing,” Elijah said, “yet if you see me when I am taken from you, it will be yours—otherwise, it will not.” As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind. Elisha saw this and cried out, “My father! My father! The chariots and horsemen of Israel!” And Elisha saw him no more. Then he took hold of his garment and tore it in two. Elisha then picked up Elijah’s cloak that had fallen from him and went back and stood on the bank of the Jordan”.
3. Through prayers: Acts 10: 44-48, “While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared, “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to remain for some days.
4. By God: Judges14:19 “Then the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon him. He went down to Ashkelon, struck down thirty of their men, stripped them of everything and gave their clothes to those who had explained the riddle. Burning with anger, he returned to his father’s home.
Also, in Judges 15:14, “As he approached Lehi, the Philistines came toward him shouting. The Spirit of the LORD came powerfully upon him. The ropes on his arms became like charred flax, and the bindings dropped from his hands.
Why do we receive the Anointing Of God?
1. To aid us in our walk with the Lord: John 14:26, “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and remind you of all that I said to you”.
2. To empower and equip us: Acts 1:8, “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth”.
3. To break the yoke of the evil one(the Devil): Isaiah 10:27, “And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing. And Luke 10:19, “I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you”.
4. To perform miracles: Matthew 10:7-8, “As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give”.
5. To receive revelations from God: Ephesians 1:17, “I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better”.
It is an great honour and a blessed privilege for us the children of God, to bear the Anointing of the Holy Spirit through the grace of God. God empowers His children with His anointing, so that we can do exploits and remain victorious in life. Acts 1:8, ” But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth”. The anointing should never lead us to become prideful and arrogant in anyway. Instead, it is meant to be our shield and weapon against our enemy the devil. Luke 10:20, “However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven”. Armed with this facts, let us respect and carry the anointing of God with great reverence.
Please, do not Hesitate to contact us on realtalkfinetalk.com. God bless and Keep you in Him in Jesus name.